Frequently Asked Questions
1-What is the objective of "Eyes of the world and Turkey" ?
* To establish international and national committees to give a rapid response to human rights violations, mainly on Freedom of Expression,
* with the help of those committees, to inform both Turkish and international public opinions about the facts,
* to create a democratic oppression and stop human rights violations on the right of free expression.
2-What is the starting point of Eyes of the world and Turkey?
First Prof. Noam Chomsky, then Kurdish writer Mehmed Uzun -who lives in Stockholm and writes also in Swedish- came to Turkey to take part at the cases opened against their books. As a result of a successful publicity campaign, both cases ended with acquittal within 15 minutes, which could be defined as a record. It is a fact that human rights abuses can continue only in darkness and if we can attract the attention of Turkish and international public opinion, we can stop them.
3-What are your aims?
Oppression on social groups does not always appear as cases at high criminal courts. Sometimes minorities are threatened, sometimes investigations are opened against university students, bans on mother language or headscarves; but always sanctions against opposes, starting with violation of their right of free expression and proceeding to the rights of education, working and other civil rights. Therefore, the first thing to do is to inform the public opinion both, interior and international- about the fact and try to establish a network of organized protests.
4-How will you realise these?
* We will take one or more sample cases for each type of oppression, access the necessary documents (Indictments, orders of investigation, court decisions, decrees etc.) and send those files to concerning organizations (and individuals) that we expect to take part in the action.
* With their participation, we will establish a separate Supporting Committee for each case.
* The committees will send letters, faxes, and e-mails to State officials and express their protest and concrete demands about the case.
* Participants in the international committees will also apply to Turkish representations and their own foreign offices to do something to stop the violence in one hand, and inform their own media to inform international public opinion.
* From time to time they will establish missions to visit Turkey and observe court cases and/or visit State officials.
* Even if a positive result is achieved on that particular example (such as a decision of acquittal) the committees will not dismiss and keep on Standby mode, unless they will be sure that no similar case will ever appear.
5-Which organizations support Eyes of the World and Turkey?
İHD (Human Rights Association), Mazlum-Der, PEN Writers Association Turkey, Helsinki Citizens Assembly, MKM(Mesopoyamia Culture Center), Free University(Turkey and Middle East Forum Foundation), DİSK (Confederation of Revolutionary Workers Trade Unions), AGOS newspaper.
IPA (İnternational Publishers Association), Article 19, Human Rights Watch/HRW, Freemuse, Amnesty İnternational/a.i., İnternational PEN.
Abdurrahman Dilipak (Journalist-Writer), Salim Uslu (HAK-İŞ President), Hasan Celal Güzel, Gül Erdost
6-What do we expect from the participants?
* To put their names into the list of supporters
* To appoint a certain person from the organization to be in charged
* Sending letters, faxes, e-mails to authorities on certain periods
* Trying to have publicity, using the connections at the mass media
* For foreign organizations: To have letters of protest or questions sent to Turkish embassies in their countries about certain issues
* Informing members of their organization via interior networks
* In the conferences, forums, other meetings media interviews in which taken part, informing the other participants about the issues, whenever possible
* Informing official or NGO missions who will visit Turkey about the issue and ask them to ask questions to officials they will meet
* Participating at the missions to visit Turkey for case observations
* In case of visiting Turkey and meeting State officials for other purposes, asking also some questions about those issues
* To mention the possible positive results of those efforts in their own reports, as an example for similar efforts in other countries
* And keeping the Standby status for a while, even after the positive result, unless we are sure that that sort of violence or oppression will not ever appears again.